Call 913-488-7717

Is Mother’s Day Deadly to Cats? It Can Be….

  Posted on   by   No comments


Party Marty with an important warning about Mother’s Day! My buddy Bolt, the Yorkie-Poo, just called me to let me know that one of the humans in his house bought the other human some stargazer lilies for Mother’s Day. The clerk at the store asked the person, “Do you have cats?” He asked why and the clerk emphasized that stargazer lilies are highly toxic to cats.

If you have a human who adores these aromatic flowers and likes to have them at home, be careful if you own a cat! If a cat eats them, she can go into kidney failure.

Symptoms off stargazer lily ingestion include vomiting, loss of appetite, overall lethargy, depression, inability to urinate due to kidney failure, and death.

If you suspect your cat has ingested any part of a stargazer lily, take action IMMEDIATELY! Hydrogen peroxide should be administered to the cat to induce vomiting so that the stomach can be emptied and no further absorption of the toxin can take effect. Take the cat to the nearest veterinarian clinic where a 24-hour fluid can be administered for diuresis to allow for the cat’s kidneys to continue functioning as they should. Other medication may also need to be administered.

On the other hand, if your mom likes flowers, go for the artificial ones! Or…how about some made out of cat nip? Yeah…that sounds like a great idea! Catnip flowers! Genius! I may have to check into getting a patent on that grand idea!

Happy Mother’s Day to all of the incredible Moms out there!

Thanks to for this helpful information.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *