Call 913-488-7717

Fall Pet Care: Be Aware of Dangers To Keep Pets Safe

  Posted on   by   No comments

fall pet care blog graphic featuring golden retriever sitting in field of orange leaves

Many of you are excited about the changing seasons. As summer has slipped into autumn, we are all delighted with a veritable palate of color and emotion. The hot, sun-drenched days are replaced by cooler, crisp air, and thoughts of bon fires and comfy sweaters abound. All is well. However, make sure that your pet remains safe during this season. By following these fall pet care tips, you can help reduce the dangers for your pet.

Keep School Supplies Out of Pet’s Reach

School is back in session with various schedules and formats. Chances are your children have glue sticks, pencils and magic markers scattered about the house. While these are on the low end of the toxicity scale for pets, they can still cause intestinal damage if consumed and ingested.  Just keep these things out of paw’s reach!

Beware of Rodenticides

The use of rodenticides increases in the fall, as rodents begin to seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by trying to move to indoor locations. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets. If ingested, they can be fatal. If you must use these, please put them in places inaccessible to your pet.

Know Which Snakes Are Venomous In Your Area

As snakes begin to prepare for winter hibernation, they can develop somewhat of an attitude, which can increase the possibility of severe bites to dogs who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Be aware of the types of venomous snakes in your area and keep your pets away from the areas in which those snakes might be found.

Clean Up Engine Coolant Spills

Many folks change their car’s engine coolant in the fall. Since these products are very toxic, any spills should be cleaned up right away…and consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolants instead of the ethylene ones, as they are less toxic.

Beware of Mushrooms

Be very aware of mushrooms in your yard. This is the season for them!  While very few are toxic, there is a small percentage of them that can cause life-threatening problems in pets. So, err on the side of caution and keep your pet away from areas where mushrooms are growing.

If your pet has eaten a wild mushroom, call your veterinarian immediately or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 (a fee may apply).

Keeping these fall pet care tips in mind will keep you your dog safe and healthy to enjoy this great time of the year


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *