Call 913-488-7717

Autumn is upon us, but don’t “fall” for these common pet care mistakes…

  Posted on   by   No comments

dog with leaves on head
Share

The Spirit of Jessie, returning to bring you peace and blessings from that incredible dog park in the sky:  I know many of you are excited about the changing seasons. As summer has slipped into autumn, we are all delighted with a veritable palate of color and emotion. The hot, sun-drenched days are replaced by cooler, crisp air, and thoughts of bon fires and comfy sweaters abound. All is well. However, make sure that your pet remains safe during this season. According to the aspca.org web site, your pet can be exposed to dangers from household poisons to cold weather hazards.  By following these tips, you can help reduce the dangers for your pet.

  • Since school is back in full swing, chances are your kiddos have glue sticks, pencils and magic markers scattered about the house. While these are on the low end of the toxicity scale for pets, they can still cause intestinal damage if consumed and ingested.  Just keep these things out of paw’s reach!
  • The use of rodenticides increases in the fall, as rodents begin to seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by trying to move to indoor locations. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets. If ingested, they can be fatal. If you must use these, please put them in places inaccessible to your pet.
  • As snakes begin to prepare for winter hibernation, they can develop somewhat of an attitude, which can increase the possibility of severe bites to dogs who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Be aware of the types of venomous snakes in your area and keep your pets away from the areas in which those snakes might be found.
  • Many folks change their car’s engine coolant in the fall. Since these products are very toxic, any spills should be cleaned up right away…and consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolants instead of the ethylene ones, as they are less toxic.
  • Be very aware of mushrooms in your yard. This is the season for them!  While very few are toxic, there is a small percentage of them that can cause life-threatening problems in pets. So, err on the side of caution and keep your pet away from areas where mushrooms are growing. If your pet has eaten a wild mushroom, call your veterinarian immediately or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center.

Well, it is back to Doggy Heaven I must go…for now…please enjoy the beautiful fall scenery!

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *