Keeping Coyotes At Bay
From time to time in this area, we’ve had cases of coyotes attacking small dogs. If you’ve had coyote sightings or attacks in your neighborhood, here are some tips to keep them away:
- If you have a fence, or are thinking of installing one, look at ones that are 6 feet or higher with a roll bar on top.
- Don’t leave small dogs unattended outside in the dark, even for a potty break.
- Install motion activated outdoor lighting, the light will startle coyotes that may enter your yard.
- Trim shrubbery so coyotes won’t have a place to hide.
- If you have outdoor water dishes for your dog, empty them once your dog has come inside for the night.
- Remove sources of food such as fallen fruits, berries or bird seed that may have fallen from the feeder.
Your Dog, February 2012, was used as reference for this post