Call 913-488-7717

Just in Time for Christmas: Great Safety Tips for Pets

  Posted on   by   No comments


Jessie, the wonderful canine always standing at the ready to dispense helpful advice and information, leaving the crazy antics to that darned cat, Party Marty:

Wow! Christmas is nearly upon us! And Hanukkah has been in full swing! No matter what you celebrate this month, the holidays are certainly a busy time of year. There are cards to send, cookies to bake, gifts to wrap and decorations to display. But wait a minute…did you forget about your furry friends? Amidst all of the hustle and bustle of the season, are you making sure that they are still safe, secure and sound?

I went online to find a few holiday safety tips for pets. Sure, you probably know most of these and, yes, some of them are probably no-brainers, but it never hurts just to read this information again!

If you have a Christmas tree, make sure it is in a corner, blocked off from your pet as much as possible. It helps to put some aluminum foil or a plastic drink bottle filled with knick-knacks or at least something that creates noise near the tree so if your pet decides to “investigate” the tree, you will be warned of any impending disaster! (“Oh, look! The tree fainted!”)

Keep any tinsel up high and away from your pet’s reach. If they ingest it, it can easily block their intestines and the remedy for this is usually through surgical means. (Yeah! What a holiday gift! Not!)

Same thing for lights….don’t put them on the lower branches. Your pet can become tangled up in them or become burned by them. If your pet bites through the wires, he can even receive a potential shock. Don’t go there!

I probably don’t need to say much about the ornaments, either. These are a choking hazard and can hurt your dog’s mouth, intestines and even the broken parts can cut his paws.

Do you have displays of holly, mistletoe and poinsettia plants? Those are poisonous to dogs and cats. Make sure they are in a place where your pet cannot reach them.

If you have a fondness for burning candles, it is my suggestion that you also keep these out of reach from pets. Can you just imagine what an innocent wagging tail could do? And if you have a fireplace, make sure you have a screen in front of it to prevent accidental burns.

Then there is the gift-wrapping stuff…paper, string, plastic, tape….all of these, if ingested by your pet, can cause intestinal blockages. Just use common sense and keep these things away from your pet!

And one final tip: Be sure to purchase a small gift for your pet if you have the means. Sure, he thrives on your love, but at this time of year, it is always nice to let your pet know how much you really care!

Have a wonderful and safe holiday season!

Thanks to for this helpful information!


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *