Do Your Homework Before Buying From A Breeder
I’m an advocate for adoption vs. buying when it comes to adding a new pet to your home, but for those looking for purebred puppies through a breeder, here are some points to check out:
- Breeder should breed puppies that are mentally, genetically and physically healthy. They should have paperwork available for you to review to show screening that’s been done to ensure health of puppy’s parents.
- The breeder should allow you to meet the puppy’s parents.
- They should stay in touch with you and follow up to ensure the puppy you purchased from them is doing well.
- Breeder should require puppy be spayed/neutered unless the puppy will participate in dog shows.
- They should thoroughly screen prospective pet parents and require that puppy be given a secure, loving home.
- Puppies should be well socialized prior to going to their permanent homes.
- The breeder should be willing to take back the dog for any reason for the life of the dog.
Information for this post from Your Dog, April 2011.