Keeping the Peace In a Multiple Cat Household
Having multiple cats can be fun but it also has its challenges. Following are ten tips to maintain order and keep all the feline residents purring:
- If you have one cat currently and are now adding another, choosing a new cat of the opposite sex can reduce fighting among them.
- If your current cat is older, rather than adopting one kitten think about adopting two so they can keep each other busy.
- Never leave a new cat alone with the resident cat(s) until you are certain they won’t fight.
- Never give treats to one cat and not another.
- Window perches create space and allow your cats to sun themselves and give some personal space.
- Grooming your cats regularly can help reduce their stress and yours.
- Do not allow play between cats to become aggressive.
- If fighting occurs between cats, do not attempt to separate them by hand. Distract them by making a loud noise and put them in separate locations.
- Learn to understand feline body language.
- Make sure each cat’s needs are met and that each cat is treated as an individual member of the family.
Enjoy your feline family members and have a purr-fect day!