Healthy Living Tips for Your Pet (It’s All Quite Simple!)
The Spirit of Bo, returning with wisdom from beyond: You do everything you can to keep yourself healthy (or at least I hope you do!). You eat right. You exercise. You do everything in moderation. Do you do what is necessary, however, to keep your pet healthy? Thanks to the experts at avma.org, they have provided seven simple ways to keep your pet in prime condition. Consider these as your Pet’s Commandments for Good Health. Stick to these, and your annual veterinarian bills may be reduced!
- Keep your pet at a healthy weight. Sure, they may flash those cute puppy dog eyes when you are eating something they want to taste, but learn to resist. Pets that maintain a healthy weight are at less risk for developing serious health issues.
- This then means you need to make sure your pet gets some exercise. Just as you would not fare well just sitting or lounging all day, your pet needs to get up, get out and get going. Run around the yard; toss a ball or Frisbee; go for a walk.
- Feed your pet a balanced and nutritious diet. Your daily snacks should NOT be on your pet’s meal plan!
- Take your pet to the vet at least once a year for a well-pet assessment.
- Be sure to vaccinate your pet against diseases that are potentially deadly. Speak to your veterinarian about these and remain well-informed.
- Keep those fleas and parasites away and discuss the best product(s) to use on your pet with your veterinarian.
And I will add one more: Dispense plenty of loving hugs and kisses daily! Make time for your pet!