5 Ways To Spice Up Dog Walks
Spring is just around the corner, and it’s a great time to get out and walk with your dog. It’s easy to get into a routine with walks, but we get bored with the same old, same old after a while and our dogs do, too. Most dogs love their walks, and it’s good to change things up from time to time to keep them interested.
Here are five tips to keep things interesting on the dog walk front:
- Change routes. Dogs like to experience different areas with all the sights and smells that come along with the change. If you take your dog for a couple of walks each day, try taking one route in the morning, and a different one for the second walk. Periodically, plot out entirely new routes, use them for a while, then switch back to the originals.
- Invite a friend. Do you have a friend in your neighborhood that walks his/her dog? If your dogs get along well with each other, try walking together. This will give you a chance to catch up with your friend and give your dog a walking buddy.
- Take time for some training. Take a few minutes out of your walk to teach your dog a new trick. Could he use some work on his “stay” command? Find an area that’s quiet, with few to no distractions, and work with your dog on the command. Spend just a few minutes on training and have his favorite treats on hand as a reward.
- Stop for refreshment. Is there a coffee shop on your walking route that also has a patio? If so, and they’re pet-friendly, stop off for a drink. Make sure to have water on hand for your dog, or ask the shop for a bowl of water for him/her.
- Take a play break. Dogs love to have play time. Is there an off-leash park near you that you are comfortable with for your dog? Make that your walk destination from time to time, and give your dog some good old play time.