5 Things To Add To Your Dog’s Meal
Posted on October 17, 2013 by Joy of Living No comments
Although you’ve probably heard it’s not a good idea to give dogs “people food,” there are some ingredients that are very beneficial to add to your dog’s diet. The Fall 2013 issue of Modern Dog magazine offers these suggestions:
- Fish Oil. Omega-3 fatty acids offer a wide range of health benefits, from helping clear skin and coat problems to fighting cancer. Iceland Pure offers a human grade fish oil for dogs. Other recommended sources are Biologic Vet’s BioFats Omega 3-6-9 blend or DHA Gold’s omega-3 sprinkle.
- Flaxseed. Another great source of omega-3’s, flaxseed also provides a good dose of fiber per serving. Flaxseed has no flavor, so it’s easy to sprinkle a little on your dog’s food. If you have flaxseed oil, drizzle a small amount (1/2 teaspoon or less) on your dog’s meal.
- Chia. Nope, feeding your dog chia seeds won’t turn him into a “Chia Pet” but will provide him with a great dose of fiber, omega-3 fatty acids and a host of other vitamins and minerals. It doesn’t have taste or smell, so it shouldn’t cause a problem adding to your dog’s meal, even if he’s a picky eater. Try adding 1/8 teaspoon daily for every 10 pounds of your dog’s weight.
- Turmeric. This spice acts as an anti-inflammatory and helps prevent the growth of cancer cells. It doesn’t have much flavor or smell, so as with some others mentioned here, should be easy to add to your dog’s meal. Add 1/8 teaspoon for every 10 pounds of weight to your dog’s food daily.
- Coconut Oil. It helps with allergies, skin problems and improves digestion. Coconut oil has also been found to help improve brain function in older dogs. As with other products discussed here, start by adding 1/8 teaspoon daily for every 10 pounds of your dog’s weight. Recommended products include those made especially for pets and available at cocotherapy.com.
The great part about all these products is that they benefit humans as much as pets. Try adding them to both your diet and your dog’s and watch what happens.