10 Questions To Ask Your Vet About Your Pet’s Medication
When your vet prescribes medication for your pet, it’s important to be well informed so your pet gets the maximum benefit. Here are ten questions you should have the answers to before giving the first dose to your pet:
- How should it be stored? Does it need to be refrigerated? Kept away from light?
- What should I do if my pet spits out the pill or vomits after I give the med?
- Should the med be given with food?
- Are there any side effects? If so, what are they?
- Why was the med prescribed and how long will my pet have to take it?
- How often should med be given? Should there be a specific number of hours between doses? (Very important for diabetes and anti-seizure meds)
- Do I need to keep giving the med if my pet seems to be feeling better?
- If your pet is taking any other medication, are there any potential negative interactions between meds?
- If I forget to give a dose, what should I do?
- When should I bring my pet for a follow-up?
Getting the answers to these questions will help your pet get the most from his medication.