10 Weird Animal Facts
Posted on March 25, 2013 by Joy of Living No comments
Although we write most often about cats and dogs, we appreciate all members of the animal kingdom. Being a fan of trivia, I found these odd animal facts I thought I’d share. Check these out:
- Man-eating sharks prefer to eat men. 13 males are bitten for every one female
- Each year, cows kill more people than sharks. About 10 humans are killed by sharks every year but nearly 100 people die each year from being stepped on by cows.
- If the Sun Bear is grabbed or bitten around its head, it can turn round inside the wrinkly skin on its head and bite the predator.
- Woodpeckers don’t get headaches from all that pecking. Their skulls have air pockets to cushion the brain.
- The coyote’s scientific name (Canis Latrans) means ‘barking dog’.
- If you lift a Kangaroo’s tail off the ground it can’t hop.
- Elephants are the only animal that can’t jump.
- Butterflies taste sensors are in their feet. They taste their food by standing on it.
- Flamingos eat with their heads upside down to strain the water out of their food.
- Reindeer eat moss because it contains a chemical that stops their body from freezing.