10 Weird Animal Facts
Although we write most often about cats and dogs, we appreciate all members of the animal kingdom. Being a fan of trivia, I found these odd animal facts I thought I’d share. Check these out:
- Man-eating sharks prefer to eat men. 13 males are bitten for every one female
- Each year, cows kill more people than sharks. About 10 humans are killed by sharks every year but nearly 100 people die each year from being stepped on by cows.
- If the Sun Bear is grabbed or bitten around its head, it can turn round inside the wrinkly skin on its head and bite the predator.
- Woodpeckers don’t get headaches from all that pecking. Their skulls have air pockets to cushion the brain.
- The coyote’s scientific name (Canis Latrans) means ‘barking dog’.
- If you lift a Kangaroo’s tail off the ground it can’t hop.
- Elephants are the only animal that can’t jump.
- Butterflies taste sensors are in their feet. They taste their food by standing on it.
- Flamingos eat with their heads upside down to strain the water out of their food.
- Reindeer eat moss because it contains a chemical that stops their body from freezing.