Who’s More Obedient – You or Your Pet?
Jessie, the well-trained, well-mannered dog: Let’s get down to brass tacks here. Be honest. Are you a responsible pet owner? Sure, you love, adore, feed, and take care of your pet, but how responsible are you…really? My Yorkie-Poo buddy, Bolt, has informed me how much he enjoys his daily walks with his human, but he becomes quite disgusted when he sees other folks out with their dogs on walks, and when the dogs need to “take care of business,” the humans just let it flow and walk on. Wait a minute! Aren’t you supposed to clean that stuff up? We all want to enjoy the walking trails! Besides, I have delicate paws. To step in that filth would ruin my perfectly pedicured nails.
Owning a pet is a huge commitment, and not one to be taken lightly. Sure, when Bolt’s family brought him home for the first time, all three of the young boys in the home “promised” to take extra special care of him. Guess who feeds him, takes him on walks, and makes sure all of his needs are met all of the time? You got it…those two bigger people walking around the house. But they don’t mind. As far as Bolt can tell, they really do care about him because he has witnessed them doing the following, and then some:
- They make sure his food and water bowls are full and at the ready, although they do not over feed him. (That nice lady in the house, however, does sneak him a treat or two when no one else is looking!)
- They groom him regularly. He likes to look good for the ladies in the neighborhood.
- They never leave him outside unattended or in extreme temperature conditions.
- They keep up with regular visits to the vet and make sure that Bolt has all of his vaccinations up-to-date.
- They take him on regular walks to keep him fit and healthy. Besides, there are some pretty foxy ladies on the walking trails these days!
- They keep anything harmful or poisonous out of his reach.
- Bolt has also been neutered. Don’t worry – he’s still a “real man!”
- They give him all the love and attention he can handle…and then some! Bolt has admitted that he does this cute little thing where he lays on the floor with his head on his paws and his eyes looking up at his humans so adoringly. He does it just to get extra attention…and he also knows it works like a charm when that lady is around and the fridge is open! He’s no dummy!
Are YOU a responsible pet owner? Bolt sure hopes so, as he thinks every dog and cat should be living the high life like he is! He does not vacation in the Mediterranean or enjoy skiing vacations in the mountains, but he claims he is far more blessed from the love and affection he receives every day. However, he does want to let it be known for the record that he would not object to a Caribbean cruise some day! He has heard the food is fabulous and available 24/7!
Thanks to dogsaver.org for these valuable tips…and to Bolt who was willing to be open and honest with us!