Posted on April 25, 2011 by Joy of Living No comments
In reviewing the June 2011 issue of Dog Fancy, I found an article discussing the top toxins ingested by dogs and what to do if you believe your dog has been impacted. Following is the Top 10 list of toxins as identified by the Animal Poison Control Center:
- Human medications
- Rat and mouse poison
- People food (raisins, grapes, onions, garlic and sweets containing xylitol)
- Veterinary medicines
- Household toxins (cleaners, liquid potpourri, and batteries)
- Outdoor toxins (antifreeze, ice melt, fertilizer)
If you believe your pet has ingested one of these, don’t try to treat him yourself. Contact your vet immediately. If you can’t get in touch with your vet, rush your pet to the nearest emergency vet clinic or contact the Pet Poison Hotline at 800-213-6680 (there is a $35 consultation fee).
Be sure to remove the toxin to prevent other pets from ingesting it. If taking your pet to the vet or emergency clinic, take a sample of the toxin and note when you think your pet ingested it, as well as the amount he may have gotten.
Emergencies happen when we least expect them, so keep contact numbers for your vet, emergency clinic and Poison Hotline handy. In poison cases, every minute counts!