Rainy Days and Mondays Got Your Pet Down?
Posted on August 2, 2010 by Joy of Living No comments
With alternating rain and high temperatures these days, your dog may be spending more time than usual inside. It’s easy for boredom to set in for your pet, but there are some things you can do to keep them busy and you sane.
1. Food Dispensing Toys – Food dispensing toys are invaluable boredom busters. In the last few years the food dispensing toy market has greatly expanded and there are lots of new and exciting products like puzzle toys available.
2. Kibble Hunt – Put your pet’s food to work for you by making your dog hunt for it with his nose. Instead of dumping the food in his bowl, consider crating him while you hide small piles of food in the house then release him to “kibble hunt.” Initially, make the piles very easy to find. As your dog gets better at this game, practice hiding the food in more difficult spots.
3. Have a Doggie Play Date! – If your dog has a favorite playmate or friend, consider scheduling a rainy day play date. Before your dog’s pal arrives, be sure to puppy proof and pick up all breakables and valuables.
4. Go on a Socialization Outing – If you are unable to take your dog for a walk, consider taking him for a ride and doing a “fun visit” at the vet’s office where he can hang out and get some treats and TLC just for being a great dog. This will provide the added benefit of teaching him that vet visits can be a lot of fun!
5. Play Hide and Seek! – Hide and seek is a great way to exercise your dog’s mind and body and recall skills. Each family member should stock up on great treats. Family members take turns hiding throughout the house, calling the dog to them, and rewarding her generously when she arrives. When her treats are finished, say “all done!” which is the cue for the next person to call her.
Dogster.com was used as reference for this post