Is Your Pet a Jet-Setter?
Do you have a pet that aspires to be a jet setter? If you want to fly with your pet, check out this list of pet friendly airlines from Petfinder.com:
- Continental. Has a PetSafe program has a 24-hour Live Animal Desk that tracks the pets from origin to destination. Travelers using PetSafe can even earn miles. The airline also allows small cats, dogs, pet rabbits and household birds to be carried in the cabin on most domestic flights for $125 each way. Small dogs, cats and rabbits are permitted to ride in the cabin
- JetBlue Airways. For no additional cost, JetBlue provides a pet carrier bag tag, 300 TrueBlue points each way, a welcome e-mail and a free pet-travel guide. Small cats and dogs are allowed in cabin. In-cabin rates are $100 each way.
- Airtran . It’s currently the least-expensive airline to fly with your small pet: just $69 each way. Small dogs, cats and birds are allowed to fly in-cabin
- American Airlines. While they only allow a limited number of pets in the cabin (two in First Class and five in Coach), they ask pet parents to make special notes for their animal companions flying in cargo and promise to abide by all requests. Small dogs and cats are permitted to ride in cabin. The charge for pets riding in-cabin is $100.
- United Airlines. They accept small cats, dogs and birds in the cabin; rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs as checked baggage and other animals including parrots, cockatiels and ferrets in United Cargo. (Shipping by cargo is for items, like some pets, that you can’t check as baggage. Your pet may or may not be on the aircraft with you.) Have a short-nosed dog that you can’t bring in the cabin? Check your date of flight; some breeds (including Boston Terrier, Boxer, English or French Bulldog, Shar Pei, Pug) and mixes are not allowed in cargo or as checked baggage from June 1 through September 30 of each year. Fee for in-cabin pets is $125.
Airline policies regarding travel with pets are subject to change, check pettravel.com to get updated information before flying the skies with your pet. Bon voyage!