Call 913-488-7717

Is Your Pet a Firestarter?

  Posted on   by   No comments


The October 2010 edition of Your Dog Newsletter reports that according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), household pets accidentally start 1,000 house fires annually.  These fires result in approximately $14 million in property damage.

The AKC and ADT Security are partnering with the NFPA to raise the public’s awareness about the role of pets in household fires.  One story they shared was of a dog home alone that spotted a cake on the stove top.  In an effort to nab some cake, she hit the knob for the burner under the cake pan.  The house filled with smoke, but thankfully not gas.  Firefighters rescued the dog and the house was saved with the aid of a smoke detector that was tied to the security system.

Here are some fire prevention tips:

  • Remove stove knobs or put covers on them before leaving the house.  Stove knobs are common causes of pet-related fires.
  • Put a pet alert sign in your home’s front window.  Be sure to include the number of pets inside so rescuers will search for all of them.
  • Don’t leave a glass water bowl on a wooden deck.  Sunshine filtered through water and glass can start a fire.  Stainless steel or ceramic bowls are a good alternative to glass.


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *