How Can I Afford Care for my Pet?
As all pet parents know, care for pets can be quite costly. So what are some options to help with pet care costs?
A popular choice for pet care payment is pet insurance. Normally, treatment is paid for at the time it is given, then a claim form is submitted to the insurance company for reimbursement.
With more than 1 in 3 pets needing emergency care annually, and 2 out of 3 pets experiencing serious health problems in their lifetime, pet insurance demands have grown significantly in recent years. Since there are several per insurance companies offering coverage, it is important to do some research to determine what company and coverage works best for your pets. Following are some points to consider when selecting a pet insurer:
- Are there any breed specific exclusions or higher rates for specific breeds?
- Are there exclusions or higher rates based on pet’s age?
- Are there plans to cover multiple pets? Are there discounts if insuring multiple pets?
- What is the deductible, co-pay?
- What procedures are covered?
- What, if any, are available optional coverages?
- Is there a maximum amount that will be covered annually or per occurrence?
- What sets one company apart from another?
When researching pet insurers, check company websites for customer feedback to see the experiences of other customers.
If you aren’t sure pet insurance is for you, there are other options available. Companies such as CareCredit and Wells Fargo Health Advantage offer financing options based on the cost of the treatment provided by an ever increasing number of vets and vet clinics.
Regardless of the option you pick, pet insurance and other financing can help pet parents provide care for their four-legged family members.
Cat Fancy (May 2010) was a reference used for this post.