Dog Paddling Safely
This weekend is the unofficial start of summer, and many of us will be hitting the water to stay cool.
If your dog will be hanging around the water with you, there are some things you can do to keep him safe. Check out these safety tips:
- Some dogs love the water so much they’ll swim to the point of exhaustion. If you notice signs of your dog tiring, get him out for a break.
- If your dog will be boating with you, be sure he’s wearing a life vest made especially for dogs.
- If you have a pool, be sure your dog knows how to climb out.
- Make sure to mark the pool exit with a large object that will get your dog’s attention.
- Dry your dog thoroughly after swimming, especially his ears, to prevent infections
Enjoy this holiday weekend and stay safe!
Dog Fancy, June 2011 was a resource for this article