What to Look for as Your Cat Ages
Party Marty here, the invincible, ageless wonder of a cat! Seems like this has been a month of birthdays! No one is getting any younger, are they? Well…I tend to maintain my youthful ambiance, as I am one cool cat, but for those cats are who, well…approaching the afternoons of their lives, there are certain things you, as a cat owner, should pay attention to:
- When you clip your cat’s nails, be on the lookout for any lumps, bumps, and non-healing sores. Also be aware of any changes in bodily odor, amount of hair, and changes in abdomen size.
- Monitor your cat’s behavior. Is there a change in her sleeping patterns? Is she easily startled? Does she nap in unusual positions?
- Does your cat have increased troubles with mobility? Has climbing the stairs proven to be a challenge lately?
- Notice your cat’s breathing tempo. Do you notice any changes in respiration such as panting, coughing, or sneezing?
- Watch water consumption to determine if your cat is drinking more or less than she normally does.
- Do the same with her food consumption and be on the lookout for difficulties with swallowing or eating in general.
If you notice any unusual changes in your aging cat, please notify your veterinarian as soon as possible, as any of these could alert you to possible disease. Better to be safe than sorry!
As for me, well, I get regular check-ups and am doing just fine! Remember! I am standing in for the late Bo, and those have been some tough paws to fill….so I have to be at the top of my game every day!
Thanks to peteducation.com for these great tips!