National Horse Protection Day
We hear a lot in the media about abuse of dogs and cats, and finding homes for those that don’t have one. Horses, though, don’t receive much media time to make the public aware of problems they face.
Even if you can’t adopt a homeless horse, there are ways you can help:
- Help out a neighbor horse by feeding, bathing, riding or walking a horse that may need attention due to owner illness or financial difficulties.
- Foster or sponsor a horse at a local shelter or rescue group until that horse finds a permanent home
- Plan an adoption event in partnership with a local shelter or rescue group
- Organize a local horse food drive and deliver the goods to needy horses in the community
- Organize a team of horse lovers in your community to increase awareness of horse slaughter and the number of horses that need homes